Our Mission

On May 12, 2012 Austin Brashears finished what is one of the most epic stories of all time: his life story. He lived colorfully and beautifully during his 21 years and painted pictures all over the world of his kindness, generosity, and positive spirit. We have decided to begin the stage of moving forward to embark on a grand adventure to create new memories with Austin every day. It can be something as little as trying a new flavor of coffee or going underwater go-cart racing in his honor. We invite you to play with us, laugh with us, and take risks with us. We encourage you to put your Austin foot forward and begin to live with Austin and his energetic spirit as your guide.

He needs our help to finish his epic adventure.

We’ll be posting our adventures here for you to read and hopefully be inspired by, but we want to hear from you too! When you do something amazing and incredible or just a little something you know that Austin would LOVE or appreciate, throw on your Austin merch (v-neck, tank, or bracelet) and take a picture! Write up a post and email it to us at doitforaustin@gmail.com and we’ll share it with everyone!

Have a great Austin Adventure Day,

Sage, Brittany, Cole, & Shannon

The Family

Friday, August 17, 2012

Utah Outdoor Adventures

So I know this is long overdue but I was putting some blogs up for people that sent us blogs and felt if other people got theres together I just needed to do mine. So here it is!

Alright so a few weeks ago I went to Utah actually for an orientation for the University of Utah (funny because as many of you know I chose Chapman) but more of just an outdoor adventure! I was having a hard time leaving even though it was only for a week because it was my first time being away from my friends and family completely ever since the accident. I debated not going but I knew Austin would love the adventures soon to be in store. So I got on my plane and headed to Salt Lake City. I got in had lunch with a family friend who picked me up and than headed to the University. Boring presentations and things aside, I had chosen the Outdoor orientation. Upon my arrival I was told that my 2 trips were going to be rafting and rock climbing.

Getting ready for the climb!
So  the next day we were split up into our groups and my group for the day was going Rock Climbing! And I mean actually real rocks with not many big cracks or anything to make it an easy climb. Of course this just made me more excited. We set up about 5 lines all ranging in difficulty and even height, up at 120 feet! We got into groups of 3 and all switched off climbing, belaying and being a back up.

 This was really fun and very tiring! Many times I would be climbing and just be completely exhausted or not be able to find a spot for my hands or feet and I would channel Austin to keep me going or I would think to myself "I gotta do it for the story" and so I would take a deep breath and feel as if i was running up a straight wall sometimes but I would find a crack somewhere and make it just a bit higher until I would reach the top!
Half way up the agro-crack!


 After about 5 hours of climbing and a little adventuring we headed up the rode a bit to a campsite where we met up with the other 2 groups and spent the night. The evening was full of cooking, chatting, making smores, playing on a slack line, cards and other fun things. Myself and a few others had talked about boycotting the tents and sleeping under the stars instead. As night came It got colder and there was a chance of rain. I thought maybe we should just sleep in the tents so we dont get rained on but that a few seconds later I realized if it rained(which it did) that would just make it an even better story and Austin was not one going to let a little rain ruin a beautiful night under the stars. And so we did have an awesome night sleeping under the stars.


The next day we got a bit later start but packed up everything and headed for that days adventure. My day was full of rafting! It was a blast. We drove out to the river took out all of the boats and pumped them up than were quickly on our way. The river had several rapid areas that were tons of fun! I only got stuck on one rock(someone pinned me on it) but dont worry I got off of it all by myself and headed back to the rest of the group. about 10 minutes before the end we had caught up to a bunch of tourists on little rafts
floating down. Our guides had us stop so that we didn't hit them coming out of the last rapid since we knew they would fall out haha. We happened to pull over right past a small rapid and we thought it would be an awesome idea to walk up before it and float down it just in our life jackets. It was super fun so me and just a few others kept doing it until it was time to go. We went forward, backwards, spun around and even all made a train down it. We continued down the river with a beautiful view, watched some members of the group fall out, flip there boats, get stuck in the trees and loose paddles, shoes etc. We got back to the ending point had some food and headed back to the school.



After I left the orientation I went to Provo where I spent the weekend with a good friend of mine, Emily. It was really good to see her hang out with all of her friends go to 7-11 on her scooter and go to a indoor trampoline park with foam pits, dodgeball and just lots of trampolines. All in all it was a pretty fun weekend I even got to see my Aunt. It was an adventure Austin would have definitely loved. <3

Love Nicole






No comments:

Post a Comment