Our Mission

On May 12, 2012 Austin Brashears finished what is one of the most epic stories of all time: his life story. He lived colorfully and beautifully during his 21 years and painted pictures all over the world of his kindness, generosity, and positive spirit. We have decided to begin the stage of moving forward to embark on a grand adventure to create new memories with Austin every day. It can be something as little as trying a new flavor of coffee or going underwater go-cart racing in his honor. We invite you to play with us, laugh with us, and take risks with us. We encourage you to put your Austin foot forward and begin to live with Austin and his energetic spirit as your guide.

He needs our help to finish his epic adventure.

We’ll be posting our adventures here for you to read and hopefully be inspired by, but we want to hear from you too! When you do something amazing and incredible or just a little something you know that Austin would LOVE or appreciate, throw on your Austin merch (v-neck, tank, or bracelet) and take a picture! Write up a post and email it to us at doitforaustin@gmail.com and we’ll share it with everyone!

Have a great Austin Adventure Day,

Sage, Brittany, Cole, & Shannon

The Family

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bungee Ball

Austin had been the person in New Zealand who would always be able to convince me to do outrageous adventures. It was all about the story and the experience.

    For his 21st birthday I wanted to do something crazy that was both fun and as he would say “cost effective”. I had this idea to do the bungee ball with him, because we always talked about doing it and just never did. So I told him on his birthday that I have a surprise for him which we will do on a boring night when we had nothing else to do. With our hectic schedules of work and school we could never find a good time, and then we finally found a night that worked for both of us. Unfortunately that night never happened, but I knew he would have wanted me to go on with the plan.

   Jess and I did the bungee ball a few nights before I left Auckland. For those that don’t know what a bungee ball is, it is a large ball located in the middle of Auckland city, surrounded by buildings, that is attached to bungee chords and is launched into the air with the help of the chord’s tension. When we first got to the ball we watched a bunch of videos of it soaring into the air. We were both scared, but I knew Austin was there with us, egging me on like he always would, and giving me the strength I needed to conquer this fear. Just another challenge, easily accepted, that will result in another great story. So we paid the fee, got strapped in and prepared for the launch.

Before we took off I took out a picture of a leprechaun out of my pocket. Not many people know the joke behind the leprechaun, but I will tell it now so when it appears in all my new posts people will understand the significance. This leprechaun always made me and Austin laugh because of his odd excitement and weird pose. And one day I took this St. Patricks Day decoration off the wall and put it in Austin’s bed. So that night when he climbed into bed to go to sleep, the creeper leprechaun was there and the game had begun. We hid the creeper leprechaun everywhere. In backpacks so he would appear when you were at class, in your underwear drawer, basically anywhere  you wouldn’t expect to see him, he would appear.  And the last time the leprechaun was placed anywhere was in my room. Austin pretended to come and borrow my electric razor, and he somehow hid it in my bed without me noticing and I was actually freaked out by how stealthy he hid it. So now when I go on adventures in Austin’s honor, I will try to bring the leprechaun and have him appear in random pictures.


  Here is a video of Jess and I doing the bungee ball. It is easier to just watch the video then explain exactly how it works.



 
I couldn’t help but feel as if Austin was between Jess and I when we did this. He would have loved the rush that you got and the feeling of flying like peter pan. Once we were done, we both just felt so close to him. And that feeling is something that can not be replaced.

We love and miss Austin so much. May this be the first of many adventures to come.


          Sending positive energy and love to all,

                    Stephen and Jess

1 comment: