Our Mission

On May 12, 2012 Austin Brashears finished what is one of the most epic stories of all time: his life story. He lived colorfully and beautifully during his 21 years and painted pictures all over the world of his kindness, generosity, and positive spirit. We have decided to begin the stage of moving forward to embark on a grand adventure to create new memories with Austin every day. It can be something as little as trying a new flavor of coffee or going underwater go-cart racing in his honor. We invite you to play with us, laugh with us, and take risks with us. We encourage you to put your Austin foot forward and begin to live with Austin and his energetic spirit as your guide.

He needs our help to finish his epic adventure.

We’ll be posting our adventures here for you to read and hopefully be inspired by, but we want to hear from you too! When you do something amazing and incredible or just a little something you know that Austin would LOVE or appreciate, throw on your Austin merch (v-neck, tank, or bracelet) and take a picture! Write up a post and email it to us at doitforaustin@gmail.com and we’ll share it with everyone!

Have a great Austin Adventure Day,

Sage, Brittany, Cole, & Shannon

The Family

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Waterfalls and Winks


Austin taught me two very important things about life. The first, never underestimate the power of a good wink. The second, take every chance you get to have an adventure. I will continue to wink in Austin's honor for the rest of my life, but this last Sunday felt like an adventure day! What better place to push my limits than to hike to the top of Nevada Falls in Yosemite!

A couple friends and I planned a short trip to Yosemite wanting to get out and explore one of the most beautiful places in California (in my opinion the world, but I'm a little biased). Round trip the hike is 7 miles, the longest hike any of us had ever done before.

The first mile and a half of the hike is called the Mist Trail, and for good reason. If the water level is really high, it's impossible to come out of the hike with dry clothes. Fortunately for us, water is low right now and we were able to climb without slipping or getting soaking wet.The Mist Trail may have been hard, but the views were definitely worth it.


Vernal Falls was beautiful, but in true Austin fashion, weren't ready to stop just yet. We continued on up the mountain to Nevada Falls, where more dramatic views and moments of awe were awaiting us.

I'm not gonna lie, there were many moments, more than I would like to admit, that I wish Austin had been there to carry me up that last part of the hike. After those moments I realized to myself that he was there carrying me, telling me to hurry and catch up since he would have been miles ahead of us at that point. I'm sure happy I listened because the top of Nevada Falls just gets more and more beautiful every time I see it.



Before we started our trek down, I took a second to sit and think about my life and I found myself looking up. The song You're Beautiful by Phil Wickham popped into my head. My favorite line in that song is "I look up to the sky and say, you're beautiful". It may not have been originally written for him, but to me that is now Austin's song.

Thank you for living a life that has encouraged me to take risks and enjoy every single second of it!

                     


                             Till we meet again,
                                 Candace ;)




1 comment:

  1. I brt he enjoyed every footstep you took and loved the view too.

    ReplyDelete