Our Mission

On May 12, 2012 Austin Brashears finished what is one of the most epic stories of all time: his life story. He lived colorfully and beautifully during his 21 years and painted pictures all over the world of his kindness, generosity, and positive spirit. We have decided to begin the stage of moving forward to embark on a grand adventure to create new memories with Austin every day. It can be something as little as trying a new flavor of coffee or going underwater go-cart racing in his honor. We invite you to play with us, laugh with us, and take risks with us. We encourage you to put your Austin foot forward and begin to live with Austin and his energetic spirit as your guide.

He needs our help to finish his epic adventure.

We’ll be posting our adventures here for you to read and hopefully be inspired by, but we want to hear from you too! When you do something amazing and incredible or just a little something you know that Austin would LOVE or appreciate, throw on your Austin merch (v-neck, tank, or bracelet) and take a picture! Write up a post and email it to us at doitforaustin@gmail.com and we’ll share it with everyone!

Have a great Austin Adventure Day,

Sage, Brittany, Cole, & Shannon

The Family

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mt Baldy: Highest peak in LA County!


As almost all adventures start in my life Trevor texted me practically telling me I was going hiking with him and his brother Ian and friend Chris. He has this misconception that I in fact am not a female and should be included in all broman date activities. Although I quite enjoy being dragged along, I am fully aware of my lack of athleticism..... So I chose to rope in Sarah Branoff! (At least I would have a girl to feel bad for me if I epically failed at this mission.) Turned out this was the best decision I could have ever made, but for complete opposite reasons. Apparently I am a little more in shape than I thought, at least that’s what I’m telling myself since Sarah and I, along with Ian, led the hike the entire trail (me and Sarah even scaled the side of the mountain for a good tanning location...and for the story of course!!)  Ian’s competitive drive is the sole reason that we never stopped for more than five minutes at a time up the entire mountain!!! There were a few older gentlemen trailing us, and by older I mean nearly three times our age, and Ian would have rather had his legs fall off from exhaustion than be passed by his grandpa…. So on we trekked! (By the way I failed to mention Trevor and Chris were carrying 30lb packs to train for a backpacking trip they are taking in August, but whatever.) 

When we all finally reached the top I literally felt like I had developed asthma, gone swimming and ran for two days straight. But the view was just breath taking.  I felt so accomplished to have made it, because let me tell you I honestly considered giving up a few times when the incline felt like it was practically vertical and our one water bottle was empty. Lucky for us we met a hiker god who informed us of a fresh water spring, and lucky for me I had Austin on my mind and my wrist.

 I had started out the hike sick to my stomach over the idea of taking a hike. For some reason it just felt wrong seeing as it was one of the things Austin didn’t get to complete on his epic New Zealand bucket list. But by time I reached the top of the mountain all I could think about was how proud he would be of me that I pushed through and was determined. I sat on top of the mountain, on a very nice tree trunk, with Sarah for two hours that day. We talked for awhile about Austin and how are lives would be forever changed, we talked about what we loved about him like his determination to just live and be happy, but we also talked about our future, our plans, our dreams. We planned a trip to Greece for next summer and agreed that we wouldn’t waste this summer sitting alone at home watching One Tree Hill marathons! 

If there is one thing Austin and I did well together it was have life chats just like me and Sarah had. Sometimes just a quick catch up on each other’s lives kind of ones, but more often than not we would end up talking for hours. It is from those chats that I got the privilege to see a glimpse of the beauty that is Austin Perry Brashears. I heard a quote recently that said, “ The most beautiful people I know have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” I honestly think its all those life chats with all of us where we expressed and shared our own struggles and defeats that he gained some of that beauty. He valued relationships and truly allowed peoples pain and hurt to transform him into the most compassionate and loving person. He had a gift for making life better and I think he is still using that gift. By letting us all know loss and know suffering maybe we will find a little piece of that great beauty Austin had.

Stay Beautiful Love you Austin.

<3 Chelsea
And we're off! Still optimistic that this hike will be easy!




the epic view :)

mountain scaling!!! Scarier than it looks I swear!

Leaders of the pack :)

No comments:

Post a Comment