Our Mission

On May 12, 2012 Austin Brashears finished what is one of the most epic stories of all time: his life story. He lived colorfully and beautifully during his 21 years and painted pictures all over the world of his kindness, generosity, and positive spirit. We have decided to begin the stage of moving forward to embark on a grand adventure to create new memories with Austin every day. It can be something as little as trying a new flavor of coffee or going underwater go-cart racing in his honor. We invite you to play with us, laugh with us, and take risks with us. We encourage you to put your Austin foot forward and begin to live with Austin and his energetic spirit as your guide.

He needs our help to finish his epic adventure.

We’ll be posting our adventures here for you to read and hopefully be inspired by, but we want to hear from you too! When you do something amazing and incredible or just a little something you know that Austin would LOVE or appreciate, throw on your Austin merch (v-neck, tank, or bracelet) and take a picture! Write up a post and email it to us at doitforaustin@gmail.com and we’ll share it with everyone!

Have a great Austin Adventure Day,

Sage, Brittany, Cole, & Shannon

The Family

Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Happiest Place on Earth (for a Highlander)

As many of you know, I have a tendency to fall in love with book series and when I do I fall hard. I obsess over them, talk like them, and dress like them. My latest obsession would have to be the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and so when the annual Bellingham Highland Games rolled around I knew that I would be there rain or shine. Now this is a very dangerous thing to say when you live in Bellingham, WA because sure enough it was raining the whole time. This is the kind of thing that I would have begged Austin to go to, he would have refused, but in the end he would go with me and we would have the time of our lives just because we were with our friends doing something new.

For the past year or so, Cole, Austin, and I had been planning a year-long trip around the world that we wanted to take after graduation. We had an online dropbox where we each put the names of places that we wanted visit and about 90% of mine were in or near Scotland. Some day Cole and I will go on our trip and you better believe Austin will be with us the whole time, but for now the B-ham Highland Games will have to do!

 
The evening started out as any good Highland Games do with the blessing of the ale! It started a little late (because they couldn't find the piper) but it was worth the wait!

 



Next they held a Scottish Idol Talent Show which was kind of boring except for the part when the guy doing rope tricks slipped because the rain had made the grass wet. Now this would not have been that exciting normally, but like the good Scot that he was, he was wearing a kilt and so all the judges and the audience got a nice view of his underwear.
Oh! And we got to drink the Scotch Ale that they had blessed and tapped earlier!




Yes, that is me having a beer with the piper!

They finished the night with a "Flaming Saltaire" where they lit torches! (Okay they were actually tiki torches). And they called out all of the clans that were represented at the games. I was a little disappointed that there was no one representing the Fraser clan (my fave) but I proudly wore my new Clan Fraser hat the entire time.



  


Overall, a GREAT night. Austin would have loved it!

Okay maybe Austin wouldn't have loved it all but he would have undoubtedly enjoyed making fun of me the entire time. I would say this was an awesome first Austin Adventure and I can't wait for the next one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment